Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Our sorta sad AG day

  1. #11
    13Pumpkins
    Guest 13Pumpkins's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by Jeanette M.:
    This actually happened to me - not with AG, of course (since my childhood occured back in the dark ages). We had very little money when I was growing up, so we didn't have much; but my Mom always made sure that my sisters and I each got a new doll for Christmas till we were 10 or 11. I started serious dolly sewing - using patterns and sewing machine and cloth from Mom's scrap bag - when I was 8 years old, and continued sewing for my dolls throughout high school. When I came home from my first year of college, my doll box that I had packed up before I left was missing. My Mother (who is the very model of practicality) had given away all my dolls and all the clothes I had made to some charity making a neighborhood pick-up, because "It's a shame to see them sitting in a box in your closet when some little girl could be enjoying them." As you can tell, it still hurts nearly 40 years later.... [img]graemlins/broken_heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wilted.gif[/img]

    <font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ May 25, 2006 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Jeanette M. ]</font></font>[/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is awful! It about broke my heart just hearing about it!
    [img]frown.gif[/img]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Prewitt05's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    126
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You are must be a kind and caring person to send Kit back! I know you'll find a special Kit soon, then maybe the two could be cousins?

  3. #13
    mori
    Guest mori's Avatar

    Post

    That is really sad about the whole Kit situation. I have always wondered why it is that some parents think they can just get rid of whatever their children have without at least telling them what they are doing. It is always a mistake to assume no one cares any longer. I hope your DD can get her own Kit doll soon, which might end up being more fun for her in the long run.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member angelnise's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 9th, 2006
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A person's belongings are just that. THEIRS! I wish my Mother and Father had respected me enough to realize that in my childhood. After all, they wanted me to respect their things. I remember my Dad picking up my first fashion doll that my grandmother had spent $100 on way back in 1976. He was going to throw it. I dived across the room and caught it before it hit the floor (I landed in a painful pose). My Dad proclaimed that I loved a stupid doll more than him. The problem is, that doll is my Grandma for me, and it was like he was throwing her.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Starearedkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    617
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My mom had an "odd" method of recleaning and sorting threw my childhood toys when I was younger. She always went through them when I was in school-elem, middle or high school because she KNEW I would never part with them while I was there.

    However, the problem is-she saved all of my old toys that are in the best condition (minus my first ever CPK and a few others)-because well, she thought they would be passed down. However, the toys in the good condition (i.e. Barbies) etc were toys that I never PLAYED with. I couldn't stand them!

    All the toys I played with were in poor condition and those got sent away-all my Strawberry Shortcake, She-ra, He-man, MLP and Care Bears.

    The Care Bears were something that should have never gotten thrown out or given away. When I was 3 years old, I spent 6 weeks in the hospital for seizures. My first cousin Greg was about 16. Care Bears just came out-and every time he visited me in the hospital (which was quite often) he brought me a new Care Bear. Before long, I had most of them.

    Years later-about 2 years ago, he found out my mom gave them away. He was a bit disappointed and sad (even though he is 38), because as a kid he saved for them, and bought them for me. In the process, I think I have reclaimed most of them either in the new releases or the old ones off of ebay. I told my mom should would have saved me a lot of money and time if she just saved them when I was 10.

    *smiles*

    But I can't complain because she did save a bunch of things as well-my first dollhouse from my grandpa, and a bunch of others.

    -Jordyn

  6. #16
    Inactive Member FelinaDoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    692
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thankfully Kit was only given away and could be returned - My Toys were thrown away while I was away at school

  7. #17
    Inactive Member MegadethLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2006
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hopefully you can get another Kit.
    I feel bad for Kit's original mom though. Parents really shouldn't give stuff away without asking. I now my room mate in college got upset when her parents repainted her old room at home and took down her posters without asking.

  8. #18
    Ashley1972
    Guest Ashley1972's Avatar

    Post

    [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img] Sniff... sniff... I feel like the meanest Mommy in the world now!! I do the same thing to DD- I get rid of her toys when she's at school because she will never let me give away anything! I give everything to Goodwill. My philosophy has been: if it's thrown around on the floor, under the bed, etc. then she doesn't care that much for it and it will go to someone who does. DD is a very messy housekeeper. Her room usually looks like a tornado has hit it so when I get tired of the mess I start getting rid of things. If I know that something holds a lot of sentimental value then I let her keep it but I admit that I've gotten rid of a lot of things that she wanted to keep. It's been a long time since I've done this because I sat down with her and explained that if she can keep her room clean then I won't touch it so she's done better in the last year. Bugs, your DD is so adorable! I feel bad for the girl that Kit originally belonged to. AG's are special dolls and her Mom should have realized that. I hope there is a new Kit in your future. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  9. #19
    AG Crazy in Wyoming
    Guest AG Crazy in Wyoming's Avatar

    Unhappy

    My favorite Auntie called last night. My not so little cousin is home from college and was appalled to find her dear, sweet Kit missing. My Auntie finds it completely ridiculous that a grown child would mind parting with a mere doll, and that she dares to want to snatch it back from the arms of a babe. Be humbled, my cousin got on the phone and made her request none the less. ?Would I please be willing to send her Kit doll and Gracie back home.? Of course -I said no! Just kidding [img]wink.gif[/img] So here I am sadly boxing up Kit- who insists she loves me and wants to stay with me forever - and telling the world our sob story. I?ve decided to put Kit?s new birthday dress in the package as well. My cousin will know she was well loved for the month she was here. We can always get another one when we get (sob) another Kit.
    THINK POSITIVE - If my arm ever heals enough to get a short armed cast, I?m definitely flying of to California, hunting up Sheila, and doing some serious AG shopping!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Have a lovely AG day! ~Bugs

  10. #20
    13Pumpkins
    Guest 13Pumpkins's Avatar

    Post

    That was an awkard situation. [img]frown.gif[/img] It was nice of you to go ahead and give the doll back. I hate it when paents give away their chldrens things without asking first. It is sooooo inconsiderate!
    [img]mad.gif[/img]
    I hope you can get a lovely Kit doll to replace her!
    [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •